New Chinese art auction intelligence report in English free to download – Artron
Posted by artradar on September 25, 2008
CHINESE ART MARKET INTELLIGENCE
In July 2008, Chinese art portal Artron published its first 50 plus page industry report Artworks Auction Market of China: Spring 2008. The report is available in English and will be updated quarterly. Analysis is based on statistics drawn from the Artron Chinese Art Database which has data on 60,000 artists, 212 auction companies and 8,000 exhibtions to date with back data from 1970 to be added.
Artron likens itself to a boat moving constantly on the waves of the Chinese art market ocean and refers to four of China’s top contemporary artists -Yue Min Jun, Zhang Xiaogang, Fang Lijun, Wang Guangyi – as ‘The Four Heavenly Kings’ but between the picturesque metaphors there are some useful snippets of data and analysis:
- there are approximately 250 known auction houses operating in China in an increasingly competitive environment in which consolidation is expected
- Yue Min Jun’s art is the most expensive based on Artron’s price per sq metre index
- China’s top five auction houses account for approximately 50% of auction sales
- 15 year old Guardian is dominant amongst local auction houses but 2 year old Beijing Poly is now second and growing fast
- a list of top 20 local auction houses
- trends by auction category
The report is available for download http://index.artron.net/indexhtml-reporten.php
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.