Asia Art Forum 2010 meets growing demand for art collector education in China – Jing Daily
Posted by artradar on May 5, 2010
CHINESE ART COLLECTING
Jing Daily, an online news source covering “the business of culture” in China, spots a new trend: burgeoning demand for collector education.
According to Jing Daily,
Along with the growing interest in buying and collecting art in China — whether for personal or investment reasons — has come increased demand for information and educational resources from the country’s “new collectors.”
To address this information gap, new books and online resources, along with more forums and conferences, have appeared on the scene in mainland China and Hong Kong, designed with Chinese collectors and art enthusiasts — rather than just academics and curators — in mind.
The publication cites several recent examples:
- The upcoming Asia Art Forum, to be held in Hong Kong from 21 to 23 May, 2010. This is the third edition of a three day gathering of talks and artist studio visits with influential curators, collectors and experts designed for emerging and established collectors. This year’s forum focuses on Chinese art, with luminaries Phil Tinari, Valerie Doran and Karen Smith speaking. Read more about why organiser Pippa Dennis set up the Forum here.
- The Global Collecting Forum was held in October 2009 in Beijing. According to Redbox Review it was a “‘private forum [of] a star-selection of 25 invited international art professionals, curators and authorities from the US, Europe, Russia and China [who met] to discuss and exchange ideas on the topic of global art collecting.”
- The first meeting of Chinese art collectors at the Songzhuang Art Festival in October 2009.
We have been watching this trend and spotting some new education sources, too. To explore further, read in the related posts section below about a well-regarded book surveying the next crop of Chinese born artists and an online resource which tracks the collecting activities of international museums in the Chinese art arena.
- Top 6 research sources for Chinese contemporary art by an art history major – January 2010
- Why do banks buy art and will they continue? – December 2009
- Which museums are collecting Chinese contemporary art – new database just released – November 2009
- Young Chinese artists – The Next Generation – book review – June 2009