Your interpretation or mine? Hong Kong artist Chow Chun Fai reflects in video interview
Posted by artradar on July 14, 2010
HONG KONG FOTANIAN ARTIST VIDEO INTERVIEW
His works have been exhibited in Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore, Manchester, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Palermo, and Verona.
In his “Painting on Movie” series, Chow appropriates stills from popular cinema. Through the remaking process, the artist explores the differences between his own understanding and the audience’s interpretation.
…everyone has his or her own interpretation of things. Sometimes even the artist’s interpretation of his or her own artwork can change over time.
While everyone’s interpretations may not be exactly the same, Chow believes the messages of culture and identity can easily transcend borders. On his first movie painting depicting a scene from the film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, he remarks:
There are many scenes in this movie that cannot be translated, but you would still understand the movie regardless of your cultural background.
Despite being a well-established artist and winning multiple awards such as the Hong Kong Arts Centre 30th Anniversary Award Grand Prize and the Sovereign Asian Art Prize, Chow says being a Hong Kong artist remains a considerable challenge:
…your work needs to involve more than just creativity. You might also need to be your own agent and writer, etc.
The road of creativity can make for a bumpy ride, but Chow maintains a firm belief in himself:
Sometimes you can love what you do. Sometimes you get confused… I believe in everything I do.
- Fotan 2010 – a growing cluster of art studios in Hong Kong – February 2010 – art studios based in Fotan on the rise
- Kwan Sheung Chi reveals how to survive as an artist in Hong Kong in telling video – July 2010 – interview with another Fotan artist
- Is text writing or image? Bloomberg prize-winner Phoebe Hui examines – video interview – June 2010 – interview with emerging Hong Kong artist
- Is Hong Kong a cultural desert? How can you become a better collector? Answers revealed at Asia Art Forum – June 2010 – on the art market in Hong Kong
- This is Hong Kong: video art exhibition highlights differences between Hong Kong and the mainland – March 2010 – exploring Hong Kong’s self-identity